As for the original impetus for this post, I've expanded on Philip's previous post on setting up Debian 6 for a SolarNode on an eBox 3300 mini computer. Some of the improvements in this guide are:
- Stock i386 Debian kernel used
- OpenNTPD for time synchronization (instead of usual ntpd)
- Monit for process monitoring
- busybox-syslogd in-memory cyclic syslog
- SolarNode platform uses a ramdisk for logging, temporary files, and the embedded database
The guide is available on the SolarNetwork Wiki. The entire system described by that guide is also available as a downloadable disk image that you can easily copy to a SD card or USB stick.